Is An Ethanol Fireplace Right For Me?
First things first…what is an ethanol fireplace? In its simplest form, an ethanol fireplace is a stainless steel element that is comprised of a protective screen, a cowling or cover, and a burner tray. When ethanol byproducts combust, they produce only steam, carbon dioxide, and heat, which means that ethanol fireplaces are not required to have a vent leading to the outdoors. They also do not require a flue.
The adaptability and versatility of the ethanol fireplace is what appeals to homeowners who would like to integrate an affordable fireplace into their homes.
Four Main Types of Ethanol Fireplaces
The most common types of ethanol fireplaces can be divided into four main categories:
- Retrofit Units – These units are designed to fit neatly inside of an existing fireplace, but it must meet the unit’s clearances. Retrofit units most often resemble fireplace grates.
- Freestanding – Just like the name indicates, freestanding ethanol fireplaces may be self-supporting, designed to sit on top of a table, or be hung on the wall.
- Inserts – This type of ethanol fireplace is also constructed of metal (most commonly of stainless steel) and is designed to be recessed into a wall.
- Burners – A burner is the unique tray that regulates the fire and holds the fuel. It is usually crafted from high quality stainless steel. Burners may be placed inside any unit that is made of noncombustible materials. Concrete is a popular option. Burners are available in linear, square, and round shapes, but it is not difficult to find corner options as well.
The Benefits of Ethanol Fireplaces
Ethanol fireplaces offer a wide range of benefits, which is one of many reasons why they are so popular. Here are a few of the most popular benefits of ethanol fireplaces:
- They are simple to install. Because they do not require a flue, most ethanol fireplaces can be installed by the homeowners themselves. This also enables the homeowner to save on the cost of installation.
- These fireplaces are low-maintenance. Since there is no ash, you are not required to clean a chimney. Moreover, you do not need to stack or store fuel.
- In a similar fashion, ethanol fireplaces have a low environmental impact. They do not produce smoke or fumes. They do not require electricity to operate, and each one uses renewable resources as fuel.
- When it is not being used for heat, an ethanol fireplace imbues your home with a decorative element; although, it can be used year round. With such a wide variety of options to choose from, it will not be difficult to find one that blends in seamlessly with your home’s décor.
- To ensure the safety of your home’s occupants, ethanol fireplaces are outfitted with a wide variety of safety features, like fuel filling directives and automatic safety shut-offs.
Purchasing an ethanol fireplace is making an investment in your home, and it is one that you will enjoy for years to come. If you need assistance purchasing the right fireplace for your space, don’t hesitate to contact us at Ethanol Fireplace Pros!
- Aldyn Miller