6 Ways to Save Money on Your Living Room Renovation
Money is the main reason most people put off a remodel they have been longing to do. With the high cost of living, it is hard to squeeze the extra funds for a remodel into the budget for some people. If this sounds like you, have you considered that maybe you are expecting to spend a lot more than you need to? You can give your home a fresh look without breaking the bank. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Know the Price of Materials - Before you just spend money on flooring, windows, molding, doors, etc., know the market price on these things. Purchasing certain items from different places may seem like a giant pain, but if it saves you money it will be well worth it.
- Do Your Own Demolition Work - As long as you don't just start madly hacking through walls with an ax, there is no reason why you can't handle your own demo work. Electrical wiring is the only thing you need to be mindful of, so move slowly, and take moments to inspect your workspace as you continue.
- Make the Most of that Wood Fireplace - You love the look of a fireplace, but you never use it because you hate the toxic, dirty, and smelly effects. Well, before you say goodbye to it for good and cover it with a new wall, consider converting it into an eco-friendly version. Ethanol fireplace inserts can make this happen. Clean it out one final time, and you won't have to clean it again. Ethanol fireplace inserts sit right inside and offer a real flame, but they don't create smoke. Plus, you won't have to maintain a wood pile.
- Light Tube - Thinking of adding more windows to increase the amount of natural light you get? A light tube offers a less invasive way to brighten up a space. Install one between roof rafters and you will instantly have a brighter space at a fraction of the cost of windows.
- Compare Payment Options - That lucrative no interest financing deal may look great on paper, but what if you're not done paying it off in time for the deal to end? Are you getting charged interest for the amount owed dating all the way back to your purchase? This applies to low interest credit cards, too. You can end up paying a lot more, if you are not completely educated about the financing option you choose.
- Consider Lookalikes - Is anyone going to tell if you go with Lyptus, a sustainable eucalyptus hybrid, instead of mahogany? Can you even tell the two apart? Well, your pocketbook will considering mahogany is more than twice the amount. There are a lot of replica materials that can save you money, and no one will be able to notice that they are not the real thing.
- Brady Draper