Stylish and Functional Room Divider Ideas
If you have a very large room, sometimes the best thing you can do is turn it into two separate spaces. For some, this is the opportunity to create an office space or reading nook when an extra room is not available. For others, this means creating definition in a large studio apartment. These ideas will get you started.
In some cases there may already be a "half" wall that is providing a bit of definition. This is an interior wall that does not fully separate the two areas. If you have a wall, or don't mind installing one, there are a few things you can do that will be admired from either room.
- Ethanol Burning Firebox - Having an ethanol burning firebox installed in this wall will create a focal point from any angle. Not every ethanol burning firebox is viewable from both sides. You will need a double-sided one.
- Aquarium - Here is another thing that can be installed into the wall and admired from both sides. Keep in mind that an aquarium will be a lot more work than an ethanol burning fireplace, but it is something your guests will definitely notice.
- Flat Screen TVs - Depending on the positioning of the wall it may or may not be the perfect place for a flat screen TV on either side. All the wires can be hidden inside the wall.
No Wall Present
- Shelving Unit - A very large shelving unit can make a great room divider. If you need privacy in both rooms, you may want to fill the shelves with old, charming books to create an actual wall. If you are just trying to create a little definition, but are not overly concerned with privacy then these shelves can be used for art pieces and photos.
- Folding Screen - It does not get much easier than just putting a freestanding folding screen there. These screens are available in a huge variety of styles, so it is not hard to find one to complement your space. The only thing to keep in mind is that they are not as sturdy as having an actual wall. If you have a high-energy dog this may not be your best option.
- Curtain - Suspend a curtain rod from the ceiling or have the rod mounted to the wall with a ceiling support at the end. A curtain or long piece of fabric can create a perfect divider that can be easily opened and closed.
- Beaded Curtains - Remember those beaded curtains that were all the rage in the 70s? Well, they are back again, but in a ton of modern patterns. You can even make them, if you are feeling crafty.
- Brady Draper