Create a Bold Living Room with a Small Budget
Do you have expensive taste, but not quite the budget to back it up? Join the club! Most people dream of their living room looking a certain way, but can't figure out how to create the look they want on a smaller salary. Before you settle for a look you feel disappointed with, put these tips to use. You can create a bold space on a small budget that will have friends and family thinking you must have gotten a raise you didn't tell anyone about.
- Know the Price of Materials and Compare Payment Options- Before you just spend money on flooring, windows, molding, doors, etc., know the market price on these things. Purchasing certain items from different places may seem like a giant pain, but if it saves you money it will be well worth it.
- Do Your Own Demolition Work - As long as you don't just start madly hacking through walls with an ax, there is no reason why you can't handle your own demo work. Electrical wiring is the only thing you need to be mindful of, so move slowly, and take moments to inspect your workspace as you continue.
- Make the Most of that Wood Fireplace - You love the look of a fireplace, but you never use it because you hate the toxic, dirty, and smelly effects. Well, before you say goodbye to it for good and cover it with a new wall, consider converting it into an eco-friendly version. Ethanol fireplace inserts can make this happen. Ethanol fireplace inserts sit right inside and offer a real flame, but they don't create smoke. Plus, you won't have to maintain a wood pile.
- Light Tube - Thinking of adding more windows to increase the amount of natural light you get? A light tube offers a less invasive way to brighten up a space. Install one between roof rafters and you will instantly have a brighter space at a fraction of the cost of windows.
- Consider Lookalikes - Is anyone going to tell if you go with Lyptus, a sustainable eucalyptus hybrid, instead of mahogany? Can you even tell the two apart? Well, your pocketbook will considering mahogany is more than twice the amount. There are a lot of replica materials that can save you money, and no one will be able to notice that they are not the real thing.
- Furniture Covers - If you can use covers to breathe new life into your furniture, then you can use that extra money towards buying other elements. Obviously, if you have springs poking through your sofa and you have already super glued the leg back on your chair then you need to invest in furniture.
- Centerpieces - Make the most of your coffee or side table by adding a centerpiece. Tabletop fireplaces are modern option to spruce up your living space. Many manufacturers are now creating smaller varieties of tabletop fireplaces that look expensive, but are budget-friendly. A dancing flame will totally change the look and feel of your living room.
- Create a Focal Wall - Although paint is fairly cheap, a focal wall naturally makes a space look and feel more sophisticated. Use leftover paint on the old table you find at a garage sale. Consider hanging a world map or wall fireplace to enhance your focal wall.
- Sheer panels - Even if you have blinds, you can mount a rod and hang sheer panels. You can find them super cheap and they add a beautiful soft glow when natural light shines through.
- Bold Commerce Collaborator