5 Ways to Create a Healthier Living Environment
Your home should be your sanctuary. It is the one place you can retreat to where you shouldn't have to worry about air quality. Every day you are exposed to countless toxins from vehicle pollution to pesticides to abrasive cleaning products used in the workplace. When you go home your body should be able to breathe a sigh of relief that the air quality is not diminishing your health with every breath you take. Just because your home is spotless does not mean the air quality is healthy. Below are some tips for creating the optimal environment to live in.
- Stop Burning Wood - Are you still burning wood in your fireplace? This is one of the most damaging things you can do to your home environment. You don't have to say goodbye to your home's centerpiece though. Ethanol burners make it simple to transform that toxic fireplace into an eco-friendly one. Ethanol burners require no maintenance either. All you do is pour the fuel in and ignite, and you are rewarded with a hot, consistent, dancing flame.
- Vacuum Daily - If you are like many you probably already vacuum daily, especially if you have pets. However, only vacuuming the floors is not enough. Cloth furniture needs to be vacuumed, as well. Plus, once a week it is a good idea to vacuum the walls, corners, fan blades, window blinds, lamp shades, etc.
- Use Natural Cleaners - Cleaning products do not need to be so strong that they burn your nose and make your eyes water, in order for them to work. Keep in mind that the product you spray on your kitchen sink or use on your floors is also lingering behind in the air. There are a ton of affordably priced cleaning products available today, or you can make your own with a solution of white distilled vinegar and water.
- Clean Bedding - Sheets and blankets need to be cleaned in hot water frequently. Your hair absorbs pollution, secondhand smoke, pollen, etc. When you go to sleep that gets transferred to your pillow, which you then inhale all night. It is also a good idea to buy dust mite-proof mattress and pillow covers.
- Air Purifier - There are a lot of air purifiers on the market, many of which are very effective. However, many people prefer to just use a water fountain. It cleans the air like an air purifier, plus it moisturizes and looks a lot nicer than an unattractive appliance.
- Brady Draper